Table of Contents
- Asus RT-AC86U Router Setup-What you need to know
- Asus router setup-The Steps
- Configuring the Network Settings
- Troubleshooting Asus RT-AC86U router setup issues
Asus is renowned for manufacturing performance-intensive products. From routers to computer hardware, to gaming consoles, and other products, Asus caters to almost every need of a user. And, the Asus RT-AC2900 router is a device among its product line. If you have recently purchased a new Asus router, learning the steps to the Asus RT-AC86U router setup is important.
Whether you are looking to configure the network settings, or change the login credentials, once you get acquainted with the Asus router setup process, you can do everything independently. This blog will walk you through the steps to access the Asus AC2900 setup wizard, so you can get your Asus RT-AC86U up and running in no time.
Asus RT-AC86U Router Setup-What you need to know
Before you begin with the Asus router setup, it is important that you have access to the following equipment and some information:
- Ethernet Cable(s)
- The Login Credentials
- The correct web/IP address for the login wizard
Default username and password for Asus RT-AC86U router
Web Address: https://www.router.asus.com
IP Address: https://192.168.0.1
Asus router setup-The Steps
The Asus router setup begins with connecting your devices to each other using ethernet cables. You may then proceed with the network configuration and finally get to access the internet. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Connect your router to the DSL MODEM using an ethernet cable. Plug one end of the cable into the LAN port on the router and the other into the WAN port of the modem.
- Plug the power cords in their slots and the power adapters into the power outlet. Switch on the power supply and allow the devices to come to a normal functioning state. The power LED will turn solid.
- Now, open the Networks and Internet Section on your computer/ wireless networks on your smartphone and look for the Asus router network SSID in the list of available networks. Select the one that belongs to the Asus RT-AC86U router and then click on the “Connect” button.
Configuring the Network Settings
- Launch a web browser on your computer/smartphone and type the default web address or the IP address in the address bar. Use https://www.router.asus.com or the IP address https://192.168.1.1. Press Enter.
- The Asus login page will appear on your screen with a prompt to enter the default credentials like the username and the password. Enter the same in their respective fields.
- In a majority of cases, the default value of username tends to be “admin” and the password can be found on the rear panel.
- If you are configuring the router, you might need to change the credentials for security reasons. In such cases, you would need to enter the ones you had set before. Click on the login button and then enter to access the Asus wireless router setup wizard.
- Now create a login name and password of your choice. Click on continue to proceed further. A majority of Asus routers are dual-band routers that support 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Enable the check box if you wish to keep identical settings for both bands.
- Recheck the settings that are displayed in the summary and click on “Next”. Before you go on to finally apply the settings to the router, it will prompt you for authentication. Enter the new credentials in their designated fields on the Asus wireless router setup page.
- With you entering the above details and following the procedure, the Asus router setup is completed.
If you still face issues or trouble accessing the startup dashboard or the Asus wireless router login wizard with the router.asus.com address, you can also use 192.168.1.1 as the default IP address. This default IP address can be used to get your Asus router configured completely.
Troubleshooting Asus RT-AC86U router setup issues
Remember, there are two passwords for your Asus router- the admin password, and the network password. While the admin password prevents unauthorized access to the online router settings management wizard, the network password is what you use to prevent access to the device network. Now, if you forget your Asus network password, it can be restored by visiting the Asus router setup wizard. But, if you have lost your admin password, you’ll need a factory RESET to recover the admin password as there’s no other way.
Here is how you can recover the password for your router network:
- Open a web browser on your computer/smartphone and in the address bar, type http://router.asus.com and press Enter. You can also use the default IP address 192.168.0.1 for the same.
- Type in the default login credentials in the username and the password fields and press the Login button. You will be logged in to the online settings management wizard.
- Now, go to the Internet Settings section and you will see the pencil icon on the top right of each section. Click on each of these icons on the SSID, Wireless password, and Security Type and edit the details.
- Once you have typed a new password for your wireless network, confirm the same in the field below the first and confirm the changes by clicking on the Apply button.
- The password for your Asus router network is now changed and you can start accessing the network using the new password. Remember, you will need to reconnect your devices to the network in order to access the internet.
How to recover the Asus router admin password?
Since there’s no provision as such to change the admin password, you’ll need to perform a factory RESET if you want to recover it. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Locate the RESET button on the rear panel of the router device. You’ll find it concealed inside a small hole.
- Use a thin object like a pin or a paperclip to press and hold the RESET button for about 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, the LEDs on the front panel will flash and the router will initiate a reboot operation.
- Allow the router to reboot itself and do not interrupt the process. Once the router has restarted, you’ll need to reconfigure the settings and save the changes.
- Now, reconnect your devices to the router network and you can begin accessing seamless internet once again.